Thursday, March 4, 2010

Dry season...

This is Josh's and my first "dry season" on Guam. We moved here at the end of dry season in 2008 and we missed dry season in 2009 when he was deployed. So, until this year, all we knew of Guam was "rainy season," and boy, can it get rainy! However, come January the rain began to let up, and we have reveled since then in uninterrupted sunshine. It has been wonderful! But dry season does come with a cost...turns out wildfires aren't limited to Southern California.



This is the (quite charred) side of the road leading up the hill to our house. The fire blazed quickly. Initially, we weren't sure if it was an uncontrolled wildfire or a hunter's trick to smoke out the sneaky pigs. I'm sure the pigs were smoked out, but it was indeed a result of several months of no rain.

I did manage to make the best of the situation, however. During my swim lessons, instead of telling kids to look up in the sky for airplanes while they swim on their back, I got to change it up a bit and tell them to watch the ash float down. Variation is the spice of life.

Anyway, we're no worse for the wear and my little swimmers are back to searching for airplanes while they float. And I did have to chuckle at the irony of the situation when we were put under a tsunami warning last weekend. Talk about going from one extreme to the other!

No comments: