Sunday, April 12, 2009

Falling in love with Kenya

Jambo! Debbie and I have been in Africa for about a week now, and I have already had the experience of a lifetime. I have seen so much and learned so much, and I know there is much more to come. My first impression of Kenya was that the people are warm, loving, and generous. We have been shown so much kindness - people have gone out of their way to meet us and greet us and they have all thanked us heartily for visiting. We have been fortunate enough to be invited into the homes of several local families, as well as an American missionary family, so we have had the opportunity to see Kenyan culture first hand through the eyes of Kenyans as well as through the eyes of missionaries living in Kenya. I treasure those experiences - there is nothing more intimate and special than being invited into someone else's home.

Aside from visiting with new friends, we have also had the opportunity to visit two children's homes. We only had a brief time at each home, but each visit was so rich. The children were darling, and they just craved our love and affection. Who could resist smiling when there are crowds of children around you begging to hold your hand and hug you? I only wish I had enough hands to pass around! At each home we visited, the children made a point of taking us around their home and showing us their rooms. There are usually at least 4 children in a room, so space is very tight. Consequently, the only space the children have to call their own is their bed. That spoke volumes to me, as I am accustomed to having far more than a bed to call my own - in fact, that's something I think I have always taken for granted. These children take nothing for granted - they know how blessed they are to have even a bed to themselves. Each child took such joy in the simple act of getting a picture taken sitting on their bed, and I took joy in letting these children teach me things far beyond their years.

We are preparing to leave Nairobi tomorrow morning for the Masai Mara Reserve in the southwest part of Kenya, where we will go on safari for two days! I'm so excited, especially since we were able to visit a giraffe center here in Nairobi the other day, where I had the opportunity to have giraffes eat out of my hand. It was a slobbery experience, but quite an amazing one for an animal lover. It certainly whetted my appetite for safari (although I have no illusions of getting out of our van to feed the safari animals...)!

After our safari we will journey to Mama Lucy's Hope Community Center for nearly two weeks. After our recent visits to children's homes in Nairobi, I can hardly wait for my turn to get to know and love the children at Lucy's home. I am confident that they will teach me more than I teach them, but I treasure the opportunity to lavish some attention on them and let them know that they are loved by people on the other side of the world. What a gift that will be, both for the children and for me! I know our time there will pass quickly, but I pray that it will be as rich as our time in Kenya so far.

In the meantime, however...safari, here I come!!

No comments: